Monday, August 25

Recipe | All my tart/heart desires


I owe this woman many thanks for all the fabulous recipes, ingenious tips, and step by step walk through of some of my favorite recipes. This woman is Ina Garten!

I spent so much time in college watching this woman cook and host fabulous dinners to amazing guests.


To be honest, I look back at her shows fondly now, but every time in the past when I caught her show, I was somehow hungry! Or maybe I became hungry as I watched her prepare her typical amazing meals. But I'd watch hungry and grumbling, until images of delicious, out-of-my-reach food no longer satiated me. Then I'd mumble to myself out of pure frustration as I rummage through the fridge for something I could make equally amazing.



Now onto the recipe gifted to us by the gastronomic goddess, Ina Garten. I always like to do research before I attempt any recipe. It helps me figure out what I can prepare beforehand, and what needs to be done fresh. The crust you can do the night before, but do not even attempt to do the filling before you start baking the crust. The lemon juice will "cook" the eggs with its acidity, and you will get inedible egg jello before you can even pour it over your crust. Start making the filling AFTER you take out the crust to cool. It doesn't take long, and you'll be less stressed for it.


    The Ingredients
       (source: Ina Garten)

     Crust:
     ½ pound unsalted butter (room temperature)

        plus extra for the pan
     ½ cupgranulated sugar
     2 cups of coarse flour
     1/8 teaspoon salt

     Filling:
     7 large eggs (room temperature)

        plus extra for the pan
     3 cupsgranulated sugar
     2 tablespoons of grated lemon zest

        (6 large lemons/8 small lemons)
     1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
     1 cup flour
     Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

     The Instructions
  1. Butter (or coat with non-stick spray) a 9 by 13-inch baking sheet. For thicker crust, use an 8-inch square cake pan.
  2. For the crust, cream butter and sugar until light (use the paddle attachment for electric mixers).
  3. Add the flour and salt with the mixer on low until just combined. Dump onto a well floured board and gather into a ball, if necessary.
  4. Press the dough into the baking sheet. Build a ½-inch edge on all sides. Chill for a half hour.
  5. After chilling, bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack.
  6. For the filling, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add the lemon zest afterwards then the lemon juice.
  7. Add the flour last and be sure to whisk it in slowly to avoid flour clumps as well as air bubbles.
  8. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 minutes, until the filling is set.
  9. Let cool. Cut into squares, and dust with confectioners' sugar :)


Remember to follow me on
 &    &   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you have to say :)