Saturday, May 2

DIY | Blooms in a Box


Most moms will give you the usual "I don't need anything from you. Save your money" spiel, but our duties as daughters/best friends is to show them how much they mean to us, and shower them in love! So what better way to start than flowers of her favorite variety with a twist: it comes in a box. It saves her the hassle, because you have already arranged them beautifully in a box for her to look at everyday :)

What you'll need:
  • Square box (mine is 6x6)
  • Her favorite flowers
  • Gardening shears
  • A piece of floral wet foam or flower oasis
  • A plastic bag

  1. Start by taking the plastic bag, and inserting it into the box. Cut off any excess showing at the top of the box. (I double bagged to insure no water got out and soaked the PAPER box.)
  2. Take your flower oasis and measure it to the box. Cut off as much as you need, but be careful handling it as it can easily be squished, which decreases its ability to soak up water.

  3. Fill the plastic bag with water, and gently place your foam in the water. Let it naturally soak up the water and sink. This should take 20-30 minutes.
    ----> I was too busy taking photos to notice my klutzy mistake of putting the flower foam upside down in the box. The holes should be facing the bottom so it can soak up the water!


  4. As the foam is soaking up water, take your flowers of choice and prep them. Cut off 1/4" of its stem off at a 45 degree angle with gardening shears (or scissors :X). You can cut more off for your ideal floral arrangement.
  5. Arrange your flowers as you see fit. Make sure they are short enough so you can still put the lid on without crushing the petals.
  6. You can choose to give her the flowers as an open box or top it off with a lid. Just put the lid on as late as possible so flowers look fresh, and voila! Your gift is ready to make someone happy!
I hope you liked this post, and if you end up doing this DIY, let me know! I'd love to see what flowers you used, and how it came out! Just #bloomsinabox so I can check it out (;

Stay tuned for next week's jam packed Mother's Day week of posts!


Remember to follow me on
 &    &   

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! What a lovely idea!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pictures honey! gorgeous ;)

    Kissessss
    Check it out my new post here:
    http://www.honeyandcotton.org/easy-look-t-shirt-biancajeans-strappati/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful idea, thx for sharing with us. Lovely blog here btw! Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute and lovely idea! I love the concept of someone opening a box of blooms. I may need to try this DIY more than once. ;)

    x, Ally | Aye, Sir! Ally

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I can't wait to hear what you have to say :)